Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Part 2

Yay! My internet's faster again for some reason. So I'm taking this opportunity to update my pictures. The first, and obviously the most important, here's Huanghuang (literally translated as Yellow Yellow). He's the family's dog, who liked to accompany me when I went to the outhouse...

The house...

One day Fei and I got a little bored and decided to go into town. To make a long story short, this is me in a traditional Chinese regal outfit (the hair's not all mine). Oh, and I'm definitely not denying I'm a naturally pale person, but special lights were also used to make us look paler...

The yard. Outhouse to the left, house to the right, entrance behind me...

While I was there one of the family members had a baby. I'm guessing this is the maternity ward at the hospital. I think that when we visited the baby was 6 days old. (It's the thing on the bed that everyone's gathered around)...

Me and several relatives. The girls to my left and right are both deaf sisters. The one standing on my left side was "lost" 8 years ago and this was the first time she'd been back. What I got from the translation was that she was tricked by someone 8 years ago, kidnapped, and then sold to her husband. Her husband's the short one on the back row. Behind his back, the general consensus was that he's ok for her (gave her a child), but he's too short. Guess which one's me...

Fei and her grandpa...

Entrance to the village...

A road in the village where I liked to take walks. On sunny days it felt super nice...

I have also recently discovered that my lunar birthday is March 1st - which in the year 2007 falls on April 17th. Therefore, I will be celebrating my birthday again today. Wish me a happy lunar birthday!

I've decided to make up an email for some of the unedited comments. If you want me to send you a copy either post a comment on the blog or send me an email and I'll forward it to you.

2 Comments:

Blogger elf said...

Whoa weird story about the deaf girl who was tricked.

I'm deaf so I'm naturally curious about the deaf sisters. Do they sign?

BTW hi i'm a friend of Barb.

7:38 AM

 
Blogger Jess said...

woops - guess it's obvious i don't check my blog that often.

they did sign although i couldn't tell you much about what they were signing. i do remember the way they signed the word pretty - they used the right hand and stroked from the top of the head to the chin, kinda like wiping the water off your face only without touching your face. not sure if that's an international sign but it seems like a fairly obvious one.

however, they usually communicated by writing things down in chinese because nobody else in the village except their parents signed. one thing i was curious about though was the sister that was kidnapped. it was obvious her husband of 8 years was still only learning to sign so i'm guessing the whole time she's been with him she's been writing things in chinese to communicate. usually they always had pen and paper with them.

8:39 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home