Sunday, September 24, 2006

One month and counting

I have now been living in Yantai a little over one month and the time has come to do something about this blog. On my to-do list: buy a cell phone and buy a camera. So photos will be coming soon.

So far my travels have included Penglai and Weihai, each an hour from Yantai. I also visited a Buddhist monastery not far from where I live.

The first week of October is a holiday here so I will be traveling! Woohoo! Now I'll just have to decide where I want to visit.


Interesting observations:

  • Chinese students choose weird English names. Some of my students are Echo, Hike, Jolly, Cinderella, CCS, Rocky (a girl), Joy (a boy), Asia... well you get the idea.
  • It's common to eat seafood as is. A shrimp is eaten with the shell, eyes, little legs and all.
  • My shower area and bathroom are one and the same.
  • Women walk around with umbrellas when it's sunny in order to stay as white as possible.
  • Good thing I brought deodorant from home, I think it's impossible to find here.
  • Chinese is hard.
  • DVDs cost less than a dollar, and you buy them in secret door shops - all very exciting.
  • Everything is fried - ovens are not common.
  • A medical exam is required to be a teacher. Complete with X-ray, ultrasound, blood tests and more.
  • Classes are once a week for 2 hours at a time.
  • On the whole, Chinese people are very friendly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home